Face painting, or paint on a water, oil, wax base, is widely used in face art the art of artistic painting on the face. Unlike tattoos and other methods of decorating the skin, face painting is temporary and is washed off after the first contact with water, since it is applied only to the top layer of the skin.
Best face and body paint for cosplay
Face painting paints for cosplay must be based on natural or harmless synthetic components:
• coloring pigments;
• petroleum jelly;
- Their composition is specially selected so that the finished product has the following properties:
- non-toxicity, the ability to draw both clear lines and transitions, shading;
- elasticity, no cracking after drying;
- brightness, saturation of tones;
- fast drying;
- ease of application;
- the possibility of layering tones.
Unlike acrylic materials, gouache and watercolors, face painting paints do not provoke allergies and irritations. They do not clog pores, allowing the skin to breathe, do not cause dryness, itching, or other undesirable reactions. It is easy to wash the funds from the face and clothing if they accidentally get on it. All these properties are inherent only in high-quality colors for face painting. If you get a low-grade composition, it is quite capable of leading to skin rashes and allergic reactions. Due to the very delicate skin, it is not recommended to carry out drawings on the face of children under 2-3 years old.
Face and body paint set: types of paints and selection rules
Face painting is produced in various forms, packages, volumes, produced by domestic and foreign manufacturers.
The main types of face and body paints
- Pressed. It is a set of professional tools for painting leather. Its shades do not fade, they look juicy, bright in any light. Usually the composition of the pressed face painting includes calcium carbonate, paraffin, gum. The composition gently lays on the skin, does not spread, and then it is easily washed off with warm water.
- Spray paint. It can be used not only for the face, but also for the hair and body. It is very convenient to apply, it dries quickly, does not crumble or crack, does not stain clothes, and has no smell. These formulations are ideal for working with stencils.
- Liquid face painting mehendi. Includes a natural component henna. Not intended for children’s face painting, as it stays on the skin for up to 2-3 days.
- Cream face painting. It is made on the basis of oils or waxes. Quite persistent, for washing it requires the use of oil emulsions, soaps. Drawings made with these paints look very attractive, the color palette is quite rich.
- Face painting pencil. Means in the form of markers, crayons, pencils, felt-tip pens are sold individually or in sets. You don’t need brushes, sponges, or water to apply them. Only shading is more convenient to produce with small brushes.
- Face painting in split cakes. It is an unusual type of paints that resemble plasticine in plastic packaging. Designed to quickly create rainbow designs, unusual backgrounds.
Varieties of paints for face painting
You cannot replace face painting products with ordinary gouache or other compositions for drawing on paper, stained glass windows. They will irritate the skin and may trigger allergies. The product should not have an unpleasant odor, be separated into fractions, and its texture should be uniform.
To create a beautiful drawing, you need to buy a set of 6 paints, no less, although some themed images include fewer colors.
Some face painting products, which are sold in dry form or cakes, require activation. This requires only ordinary water, which is sprayed by materials after being placed in a spray bottle. You can also wet the paints with a damp brush for a creamy or watery texture (as needed).
Wax-based paints need more liquid to activate, so you will have to wet them more actively. You also need to spray harder with neon products, which show their full color only with sufficient humidity. A minimum of water is required for glycerin-based colors, which are already quite soft. It is best to activate the paint in this way: take a brush in your hand, wet it with water. Make a small indentation in the paint with rotational movements. Give the color in the “crater” a creamy consistency, and leave the rest of the mass in a solid state.
Preparation of aqua paints for application
Reactivation of paint. Previously used paints dry out over time and a crust forms on their surface. If the material is no longer needed, it must be allowed to dry, and next time it must be reactivated by adding a little water.
How to apply paints correctly
Professionals know how to work with face painting of different types. Depending on the consistency, there are some differences in the results that must be taken into account when applying the drawings. The paint, diluted to a liquid state, allows you to get original drips, splashes. The watery texture creates realistic droplets that are very difficult to paint with artificial and it will take a minimum of time. If this color scheme is diluted even more, it will be possible to draw shadows with it.
Ink consistency This ink resembles the ink used for writing with a pen, which was widely used before the invention of pens. It is thick enough to draw clear lines. The consistency of the mascara is ideal for creating black and other dark contours, graceful curves, sharp ends. Make-up with the consistency of mascara is used to apply fine, graceful designs.
Drawing on the face with dry paints
The choice of drawing depends on the preferences of the child himself or the adult, the theme of the party, the fantasy and artistic abilities of the master. Before starting work, you need to remove the hair from the face, securing it with a bandage, change the model into home clothes, especially if it is a baby up to 3-5 years old. Face painting can be easily cleaned, but the mood from dirty things can spoil.
The most popular drawings for children are: animal faces; insects; flowers; superheroes; fairies; patterns, ornaments; fairy tale characters.
Face painting in the form of an animal’s face on a child’s face
It is worth taking care of the necessary tools and consumables in advance to create a beautiful face painting.
You will need:
• brushes of different thicknesses from natural materials (preferably separate for each color);
• small sponges for shading and painting over large areas;
• disinfectant (if you have to paint on the faces of different people);
• cups of water for washing brushes, sponges;
• paper towels, wet wipes, cotton swabs;
Materials and accessories for drawing on the face and body paint shop
To create interesting effects, you may also need fluorescent pencils, stickers for temporary tattoos, glitter, rhinestones, cosmetic rice powder.
Performing face painting
The paint should be tested for allergies first, which is recommended even for the highest quality products. The agent is applied to the inner side of the elbow, waiting 5-10 minutes. If there is no redness and rashes, you can safely apply the material on your face. First of all, when creating face painting, a tone is applied it should be even, smooth. To create it, moisten and squeeze the sponge well, apply paint in smooth circular movements. Long strokes should not be done: after drying, they turn into ugly stripes. After drying the tone, the details and contours of the pattern are applied using brushes. They are held at right angles, like a pencil, while they are moistened with paint slightly so that it does not drip or drip. Allow the drawing to dry, add special effects (for example, sparkles) if necessary
Hygiene when applying paint on the face
If in the process of performing face painting the child has an allergic reaction, the paints are immediately washed off with soap, a nourishing cream is applied. Brushes must be washed with soapy water. Before performing face painting for the next person, all tools are thoroughly disinfected.
How to remove face paint?
Face painting is easily washed off with plain water. If it is made on an oil or wax base, you will have to use soap or cosmetic foams, milk for washing. The sequins are quickly removed with tape, which is glued to the corresponding area of the skin for a couple of seconds.